Tayshet is a town and the administrative center of Tayshetsky District in Irkutsk Oblast, Russia, located 669 kilometers (416 mi) from Irkutsk, the administrative center of the oblast.
It was founded in 1897 as a supply point and station on the Trans-Siberian Railway and was granted town status in 1938.
During the 1930s–1950s, Tayshet was the center of administration for gulag labor camps Ozerlag and Angarstroy. Construction of the first section of the Baikal–Amur Mainline started in 1937 and was managed from here. According to some survivor accounts, between Tayshet and Bratsk there is "a dead man under every sleeper." Along with Japanese prisoners from the Kwantung Army, German prisoners of war
formed a large proportion of the forced labor contingent, generally
under a 25-year sentence.
Surviving German POWs were repatriated in
autumn of 1955, after West German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer's visit to Tayshet is a major railway junction.
Here the Baikal–Amur Mainline begins, branching northeast from the Trans-Siberian Railway. Here also the Abakan-Taishet Railway ends. The town is also on the M53 Highway (Moscow to Irkutsk).Moscow.