Kemerovo is an industrial city and the administrative center of Kemerovo Oblast, Russia, located at the confluence of the Iskitim and Tom Rivers, in the major coal mining region of the Kuznetsk Basin.
Kemerovo is an amalgamation of, and successor to, several older Russian settlements. A waypoint named Verkhotomsky ostrog was established nearby in 1657 on a road from Tomsk to Kuznetsk fortress. In 1701, the settlement of Shcheglovo
was founded on the left bank of the Tom; soon it became a village. By
1859, seven villages existed where modern Kemerovo is now: Shcheglovka
(or Ust-Iskitimskoye), Kemerovo (named in 1734), Yevseyevo, Krasny Yar,
Kur-Iskitim (Pleshki), Davydovo (Ishanovo), and Borovaya.
In 1721, coal
was discovered in the area. The first coal mines were established in
1907, later a chemical plant was established in 1916. By 1917, the
population of Shcheglovo had grown to around 4,000 people.
The area's further development was boosted by the construction a railway between Yurga and Kolchugino (now Leninsk-Kuznetsky) with a connection between Topki
and Shcheglovo. Shcheglovo was granted town status on May 9, 1918,
which is now considered to be the date of Kemerovo's founding; and was later known as Shcheglovsk. The town became the central location for the Kuzbass Autonomous Industrial Colony which was established there in 1921. 650 workers from 20 different countries settled there and set up what became the Kemerovo Coke Chemical Plant. Some of their descendants visited the modern factory in 2011.
On May 27, 1932, Shcheglovsk was renamed Kemerovo and became the administrative center of Kemerovo Oblast in 1943.